Diverse Applications of Stop Motion Animation
|May 6, 2014||Posted by Warren under Animation Talk|
The traditional art of stop motion animation is still one of the most popular areas of film-making today. This is because its potential is so far reaching – absolutely anything can be made to spring to life, in whatever way you please.
Through this broad scope of creativity, stop motion has the power to shock, inspire and make you laugh, all at once. On the other hand, it can also be an innovative and effective way of conveying deeper emotions.
Stop motion works by shooting a single frame of an object, moving it slightly and shooting another frame, and repeating this process a number of times. When the film runs continuously, the illusion of fluid motion can be created, with the objects appearing to move by themselves. This is similar to the animation of cartoons, but using real objects instead of drawings.
Stop motion animation can be done with plasticine models, paper shapes, animals, or just about anything. There are so many ways to be creative with it that it could never grow old. Here are a few ideas to give you inspiration for your animated video.
- The below video for “Her Morning Elegance” by Oren Lavie puts a girl and her bed into a stop motion movie, with scenes corresponding with the music. It is an innovative way to use the technique and reminds you that stop motion allows you to bring things to life in a totally unique way.
- This animated advertisement for the Xbox 360 is so easy and entertaining to watch, yet the viewer cannot help but be intrigued by the intricacy involved. Once you start watching, you do not want to stop watching until you reach the end, which is commonly the case with stop motion. Simple yet creative animations like this easily stick in people’s memories, triggering brand recall at a later date.
- With the previous two animations having used music in the background, this next one is more creative and uses sound effects that add to the animation experience. The film, Western Spaghetti by PES, presents a normal everyday task – cooking spaghetti – in a new and imaginative way. It is illusory, yet we can still imagine that it is food in front of our eyes; we can almost smell it. Meanwhile the sound effects add more stimulus. This multi-sensory experience is certainly one to inspire viewers.
- The concept of stop motion can also be fantastic for keeping viewers engaged for a lengthy explanation, or telling a story. “In Pursuit of Perfection” by Mabona Origami is an advertisement for ASICS, which tells an informative story with origami. To add an air of authenticity to the paper art chronicle, a Japanese narrator takes us through it, with a pleasant and enthusiastic tone. Even though the animated video is almost five minutes long, it is captivating.
- Talking of stories, this next animation expresses strong emotions and triggers a deep reaction from the audience, just through the use of stop motion images and music. Carlos Lascano created this love story with figurines, models and drawings. It is amazing how we can read so much into a short film showing pieces of material and paper.
- This next paper craft stop motion music video is mesmerising. It was created as a music video for Shugo Tokumaru. Again it keeps viewers transfixed with an inspiring mixture of music and imaginative visuals that complement it. Despite the number of stop motion adverts you might see using paper or modelling clay, each time you are surprised by something new.
At Spiel we love stop motion animation and always look forward to taking on a new challenge, exploring the technique in new and creative ways.
If you have a favourite stop motion video medium, then please let us know in the comments section below. We are always interested to know what our readers think is red hot in the world of animation.
If you would like a stop motion video produced for your business, then give us a call to discuss ideas and come up with the best solution to reach your objective. A member of our team can be reached on 0208 891 2077, or you can send an enquiry to [email protected].
We craft stop motion animations with paper, modelling clay or even food – whatever you deem appropriate for your purpose and imagination. We are also full of original ideas in case you need some inspirational input.
The possibilities with stop motion are endless, so whatever the purpose of your animated video, you are sure to find an imaginative concept that is just right.